There will be a question or two about the digestive system.
Here are the key points:
– Digestive juices are produced in the mouth, the stomach, and the small intestine.
– Mouth – main role is to chew / churn and secrete digestive juice (saliva).
– Stomach – main role is to digest and secrete digestive juice.
– Small intestine – main role is to digest and absorb food (not water) and secrete digestive juice. At the end of the small intestine, all the food are already digested and absorbed.
– Large intestine – main role is to absorb water, not food. Does not secrete digestive juice.
– Food typically takes about 5-6 hours to pass through the small intestine into the large intestine, although this varies greatly among individuals and type of food.